The Jewish Massacre in Seville: Honoring the 4,000 Extinct Souls
Keeping the blessing memory of the “Judería de Sevilla” alive is a way to honor the 4000 Jewish souls who perished due to the massacre of 1391.
“La judería de Sevilla” was a Jewish ghetto in Seville in which Jews lived from the reconquest of Seville, by Ferdinand III of Castile, until their forced exile under the Edict of Granada, issued by the Catholic Monarchs. Nowadays, it includes the neighborhoods of San Bartolomé and Santa Cruz.
What if we went backtrack a tad? The city of Seville was conquered in 1248 by the king Fernando III of Castile. The Jews began to settle the city in abundance.
King Alfonso X (the son), granted it four mosques to be converted into synagogues, which today serve as the churches of Santa María la Blanca, Santa Cruz, Convento de Madre de Dios (Seville) and San Bartolomé.
A few years later, there was the Christian assault on the Jewish quarter, which was the first assault on a Spanish Jewish quarter.
An ode to remembering
As a result, the archdeacon of Ecija, Ferrand Martinez, began to mount the Sevillian Christians against the Jews. As a result, the revolt begins, with the masses entering the Jewish quarter, destroying the stores and attacking the inhabitants.
This revolt ended with the arrival of the police, but those responsible remained unpunished. As a result of this impunity, on June 6 of 1391, the mob once again entered the Jewish quarter, this time murdering several thousand Jews, that is, almost all those who lived in Seville. For this reason, the king imposed a fine on Seville that he had been paying for ten years.
A century later, the expulsion of Jews from Spain or their conversion to Christianity was decreed. In Seville, it did not have such an impact, because due to the massacre of 1391 and the insecurity that followed, there were very few Jews left in the city of Seville.